You may be affected if:
- You are working age and you’re classed as having a spare bedroom
- You get Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit
- You rent your home from the council, a housing association or a registered social landlord
The following rules are used when working out whether you have a spare room:
- Two children under 16 of the same gender are expected to share
- Two children under 10 are expected to share regardless of their gender
- You are allowed one bedroom for each person over 16 or couple in a household.
You can click here to calculate if your property is the right size for your needs and if the bedroom tax will apply to you.