Debt getting on top of you?

Our Money Matters Advisor can help you to understand your rights and responsibilities and those of your creditors. We’ll also help you weigh up your options in relation to dealing with debt. Our debt advice service is free, confidential and impartial. 

Your adviser will:

  • Explore with you the ins and outs of any debt you have and give advice for managing that debt
  • Look for ways to increase your income and reduce your outgoings by completing a benefit check and a financial statement
  • Look at different debt solution options with you 

Although we can offer advice and information on non-priority debts, we cannot hold money for you, distribute funds, or negotiate and monitor repayments and offer acceptances with or from multiple non-priority creditors. We do not act as Debt Relief Order intermediaries or assist with bankruptcy applications, IVAs, or other insolvency options. We do not help with business debt. If you require a service we do not provide, we will advise you on alternative advice options and can make referrals with your consent.

We can carry out casework for you but cannot represent you in court. The debt advice we give includes personal debts and we cannot advise on business debts. If following our initial interview, or if at any point in your case, we feel that we cannot meet your needs, we’ll help you find an alternative service. This might happen if you need support, or if you require the help of a debt relief order (DRO) intermediary. 


Speak to one of our Income Officers or our Money Matters Advisor

If you want to speak to one of our Income Officers or our Money Matters Advisor, please call Tel: 0345 521 1993 or Email: 

Financial Conduct Authority and Complaints

Our debt advice service is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) FRN 775843. If you aren’t happy with our service, please call us on 0345 521 1993 and we’ll register your complaint.  

If you aren’t happy with our final response you can take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Further information can be found here.