Helping you live safely and comfortably in your home

We want all our 54North Homes customers to be able to live safely, comfortably and securely. If you or a family member are having difficulty doing everyday tasks such as climbing the stairs or having a bath, we will try to help.

The first step is usually organising an occupational health assesment through your local council. They will usually come out and visit you and do a full assessment, then send recommendations to us. This may include identifying disability aids and adaptations to allow you to stay in your current home, which will usually funded by the council and/or 54North Homes. 

Please click on the useful links below to find out more:
North Yorkshire
East Riding

If we are unable to adapt your current home, we will help you seek accommodation more suitable to your needs.

Please contact us if you wish to discuss this.


Frequently asked questions

An adaptation is a special fixture or fitting that is designed to help you with your day-to-day living, improve your mobility in and around your home and improve access to your home.

Minor adaptations include grab rails, banister rails, key safes and lever taps. Usually these types of minor adaptations can be quickly arranged and installed. Please note grab rails/hand rails will only be positioned as marked by a health professional, as an inappropriately placed rail can be more detrimental then not having one. 

Major adaptations are larger changes to your home. These could include wheelchair ramps, wet rooms and stair lifts. We have limited funding for this type of adaptation, although residents can seek independent funding through a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG). Major adaptations are subject to a full assessment by an occupational therapist who works with your Local Authority (see contact numbers at the bottom of the page).

You, your family, a carer or social care/health professional should get in touch with your local council adult social care team in the first instance. 

Please scroll down to find your local council's contact details.

Occupational therapists are qualified healthcare professionals who are experts in assessing your needs. They help people with mental, physical or social disabilities to independently carry out everyday tasks or occupations.

Occupational therapists work with children and adults of all ages whose difficulties may have been present since birth, or the result of an accident, illness, aging or lifestyles.

Occupational therapists – often referred to as OTs – can make adaptation suggestions to 54North Homes to help make your life easier in your home.

The occupational therapist will visit you at your home where they will assess and discuss with you your specific needs. This involves going through some questions to get a full history of your health which will allow the occupational therapist to focus on the main issues which are affecting your health and work.

The occupational therapist will consider your immediate needs as well as your potential needs in the future. Based on this assessment, the occupational therapist may recommend a suitable course of action.

In some cases, the adaptation you require may prove unsuitable for the type of property you live in. The size, construction, or location of your property could make the installation of aids and adaptations difficult. If a lot of adaptations are required for your home, you could be better served by moving into a different property.

The occupational therapist will work with you and our housing team to look at every possible option available to you so we can help meet your long-term needs.

If your property is subject to improvements via our planned works programme and where funding is available, we can potentially provide an adaptation once we’ve received an occupational therapist’s referral.

We will be able to discuss this with you before your planned works commence.

Any work undertaken is always subject to 54North Homes' written authorisation. A customer must not modify their property or arrange a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) without written permission from 54North Homes.

You should complete and submit this form in the first instance.

Where necessary, all appropriate planning permission and building regulations must be obtained and a copy provided to 54North Homes.

If you live in a 54North Homes leasehold or shared ownership home, applications for adaptations follow the same procedure as our rented properties.

Leaseholders will however be asked to pay for the adaptation, in line with the terms of the lease.

If you are unsure of your lease, please speak with a member of the 54North Homes team.

Local Authority adult social care contact numbers



Tel: 0113 378 2991 / 0113 222 4444




Tel: 01226 773300



Tel: 01924 316830 
0300 304 5555 (Non Urgent)
01484 414933 (Urgent)

City of York: 


Tel: 01904 551550

North Yorkshire: 


Tel: 0300 131 2131 (Emergencies Only)
Online for all other enquiries

East Riding: 


Tel: 01482 393939 (General enquiries) 
01377 241 273 (Urgent)